Clean energy sources taken into consideration are renewable and without or with low CO2 emissions. These are hydropower, geothermal, wind and photovoltaic and, to some extent, biomass and low carbon energy mixes.
Swisscom may source its renewable energy through the following mechanisms:
- On-site owned renewable energy generation: Swisscom generates renewable energy through photovoltaic installations on its buildings or on buildings belonging to third parties on which Swisscom’s mobile communication antennas are located.
- Power Purchase Agreements (PPA): Swisscom directly purchases renewable energy from established suppliers in Switzerland.
- Power purchase agreement (PPA) with a grid-connected generator without energy attribute certificates: Swisscom purchases renewable energy from established suppliers in Switzerland.
- Unbundled Energy Attribute Certificate (EAC) Transactions: Swisscom purchases Guarantee of Origins (GoO) for the part of its energy mix not renewable. Swisscom is transparent on its energy demand and mix as well as on its footprint. Information on progress toward a clean energy company is found in the official reports of Swisscom.
Swisscom has set ambitious climate protection targets to help limit the global temperature increase to 1.5 degrees. Together with their customers, they want to reduce CO2 emissions by a net 500,000 tonnes of CO2 in 2025. This corresponds to one percent of Switzerland’s GHGs. At the same time, the company wants to bring carbon emissions from its operations and their supply chains down to a total of 300,000 tonnes. Their digital Swisscom products also enable customers to save at least 800,000 tonnes of CO2.
Sustainable management is crucial to FreeMove Alliance members and partners. Each of our operators are taking action in order to create a greener future. To learn more about our joint efforts, get our latest whitepaper based on an in-depth analysis of 25 countries on:
- Renewable Energy and Carbon Emissions
- Device Recycling and Handset Management
- Sustainable Supply Chain
- Taking sustainability to the next level with 5G